Author Topic: James Garner drives a Chevrolet Vega in the TV show, Rockford Files  (Read 777 times)

smallengineshop

The Plymounth Duster really was the better deal (see video)? It's now known the Ford Pinto would catch fire if it was rear ended at the right speed, and the Chevrolet Vega had rust problems and engine damage if it over heated, at least with early models.

I've heard owners of all three models say how much they loved their car, so when I hear someone say this car was bad because of this or that, I take it with a grain of salt. Usually if a car is well maintained and not abused it will last a long time with descent performance. I wouldn't fear owning or driving any one of these models.

A great way to see these old cars as they first existed is to watch old TV shows. In the first season, fourth episode of Rockford Files, James Garners character travels to Arizona and rents a Chevrolet Vega. In the same episode he gets chased by a Mack semi truck on a highway, but manages to use his cars small size to escape the threat. The 1971 Chevrolet Vega was the first subcompact car. I think 1971 was the first year the subcompact category came into existence. The Vega used in this episode is probably a 73 or 74 model.

James Garner driving a Chevrolet Vega on the TV show, Rockford Files

« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 07:13:12 PM by adminjoe »
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.