Author Topic: 1962 Matchless Motorcycle Ad - Complete Line Up, 2 Page Advertisement  (Read 882 times)

smallengineshop

Matchless motorcycle brand was manufactured in England from 1899 to 1966. Matchless Motorcycle's parent company was Associated Motor Cycle's (AMC). Indian Motorcycle Manufacturing Company went out of business in 1953, but rights to the Indian name was purchased by Brockhouse Engineering who imported Matchless Motorcycles for sale in USA. Later on in 1960, Associated Motor Cycle's bought the rights to use the Indian name. That's why the name "Indian" is used in this advertisement. AMC went into liquidation in 1962, the same year this ad appeared.

Notice the scooter in this advertisement. It seems scooters are always relegated to young people, newbies and women. Scooters are very utilitarian and a comfortable form of 2 wheel transportation. I don't think scooters should be dismissed by the motorcycle community as an inferior 2 wheel vehicle. Many scooter's are better than motorcycle's for commuting in congested inner city traffic, or for simply going grocery shopping no matter where you live. In my opinion, a scooter is a better choice than motorcycle's and car's for modern delivery jobs like Ubereats and DoorDash when used in the fall, spring and summer months. Don't dismiss scooters! They can't be beat for ease of operation, efficiency, cargo/storage area and comfort. Larger scooters today can easily reach freeway or interstate speeds and have faster off-the-line acceleration than many cars.

The one major drawback for scooters is image. I don't think outlaw motorcycle clubs or police should be seen on scooters. Unless a police department assigns them to meter maids to issue parking tickets.

Click on image to enlarge:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:26:46 PM by adminjoe »
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.