Author Topic: b%s 19 hp oil in air cleaner  (Read 1651 times)

rboone

b%s 19 hp oil in air cleaner
« on: January 11, 2014, 05:34:30 PM »
I have a 16 hp b%s no. 401417 0145 01. I had gas in the oil, The engine was not run. Changed oil and rebuilt carb. If the oil is in the upper range on the dip stick, oil comes out both vent valves. If the oil is in the lower range this does not seem to happen. The oil being discharged ftom the vent valvs did hot occur prior to the oil/gas problem. Could both valves go bad at the same time or there other problems. The engine starts and runs good as long as the oil is near the add mark on the dip stick. Any help would be appreciated

smallengineshop

Re: b%s 19 hp oil in air cleaner
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:41:31 PM »
Make sure you change the oil and fix the fuel problem.

It sounds like your crankcase is building up to much pressure and forcing oil out the breather valves. I assume your talking about the breather valves when you said "both vent valves." Do a compression test to check the overall condition of the engine.

The problem could be caused by something simple like faulty breather valves, or it could be caused by something more serious like worn top end.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

csigona

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 01:11:55 PM »
This reply is kind of late, but it can't hurt. I've seen gas diluting the crankcase oil when the gas tank is higher than the carburetor (gravity feed, for instance) and the gas shutoff valve was not closed during long periods of storage. Perhaps the float valve was imperfect, but the fix was simply to shut off the gas flow.

The Small Engine Shop

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 01:11:55 PM »