Author Topic: Briggs & Stratton 3000psi 2.6 Powerwasher hard to crank  (Read 3313 times)

Da Champ 671

Briggs & Stratton 3000psi 2.6 Powerwasher hard to crank
« on: November 05, 2013, 05:29:38 AM »
I'm having problems pulling on the crank cord. It pulls back forcefully then I can pull it again with no resistance.
It feel like there is something getting stuck then it's free. The motor will still start but I have to catch it when the pullcord is free to spin.
Which is about every 2-3 pulls.

Da Champ 671

Re: Briggs & Stratton 3000psi 2.6 Powerwasher hard to crank
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 05:30:53 AM »
Sorry it's a 2.8gpm not 2.6

smallengineshop

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 02:29:44 AM »
Check the starter pull cord recoil assembly.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Da Champ 671

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
I have pulled off the pullcord assembly and spun the shaft and still some resistance on every other turn.

smallengineshop

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 01:09:12 AM »
So you took the pull cord assembly off and pulled the cord and felt resistance?

Does your power washer have the Briggs Horizontal shaft engine?
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Da Champ 671

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 03:17:29 AM »
The pull cord assembly has no resistance when it's off the engine. The engine itself has resistance when I turn the shaft with some pliers. Yes it's the horizontal shaft engine.

smallengineshop

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 07:50:01 PM »
I apologize, but I am having trouble understanding your problem. I originally thought you were feeling resistance in the pull cord that shouldn't be there, but it sounds like the resistance your feeling is normal, and your sometimes having problems with the starter pull cord catching and turning the engine over. I can't remember exactly how the starter/pull cord on your engine is setup, but the starter pull cord assembly has some mechanical way to catch the flywheel and turn the engine over. The parts will wear over time, and you need to do a visual inspection to see which particular part is worn or broken and causing the problem your experiencing.

Da Champ 671

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 06:17:30 AM »
Ok let me try to explain this more. When I go to start the motor, I pull the pull cord and it has resistance. I was told also that it might be the pull cord. I pull it off and test it off the engine and it works fine. I try to turn the engine shaft with some pliers while the pull cord is off and it has resistance again without the pull cord. I pull off the piston and find scrape marks on the side of it. I think there is something putting resistance on the stroke of the pistons, I think not too sure. It's the same motor you use on your crankshaft and camshaft timing video on youtube, just a Briggs. I really appreciate you giving your time and advise thank you very much.

smallengineshop

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 03:13:47 PM »
Its impossible for me to know exactly what is causing the added resistance without having your pressure washer in front of me, but I will try and give you some possible sources for the problem.

Does the pressure washer make any unusual noise? Is there something rubbing against the flywheel? Maybe the ignition coil? Is the source of the added resistance the water pump? Have you tried removing the water pump?

Scrape marks on the side of the piston is not a good sign, but I doubt its the source of your problem.

It would be great if you could make a good quality video showing the pressure washer and the problems your having, and upload it to YouTube.

mowerman14

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 01:36:34 AM »
Ok, so I know what ur problem is. Had the same problem with my weed eater. For every motor, something has to turn it over. In your case, a pull cord. Now the pull cord recoil assembly should either have a gear, splines, or what they call "dogs" that catch the flywheel or something ON the flyweal to make it turn over. Now this thing that catches is most likely striped out and needs to be replaced. Hope this helped, if not for this repair, for future ones.

The Small Engine Shop

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 01:36:34 AM »