Author Topic: Honda pressure washer help  (Read 1653 times)

kodibass

Honda pressure washer help
« on: October 08, 2013, 01:57:55 AM »
I have a honda GX390  13hp  pressure washer that is acting like it has choke issues puffing black smoke & kinda hard starting,  so  I took the carb off cleaned it very good put it back together & got the same thing.  its a OHV engine would the valves needing adjustment cause this?  or should I look to other issues & what mite they be?    thanks

smallengineshop

Re: Honda pressure washer help
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 01:05:11 AM »
Black smoke indicates a very rich air/fuel ratio (too much gas to air), so I would focus on the fuel system for the problem. Make sure your air filter is in good condition and there are no restrictions between the air filter housing and carburetor. Make sure your choke is functioning correctly.

Was the engine sitting for a long period of time right before this problem happened?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:08:41 AM by smallengineshop »
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

kodibass

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 04:16:28 AM »
Not for a real long time maybe a month,  The carb has a adjustment screw but it has a little tab on the screw so you can only move it about 1/8 turn in either direction ?  I was wondering if I should break off the tab & try to adjust the mixture?  I was thinking this might be some kinda California emission thing?  I did a compression test and got 85-90 psi  I am going to adjust the valve lash & take another look at the carb.   thanks for the reply.

The Small Engine Shop

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 04:16:28 AM »