Author Topic: John Deere Gator XUV550 recommended oil and oil filter  (Read 7588 times)

smallengineshop

John Deere Gator XUV550 recommended oil and oil filter
« on: October 01, 2013, 10:05:47 PM »
The John Deere XUV550 operator manual recommends using a multi viscosity oil in the XUV550. The XUV550 is equipped with a Briggs & Stratton 16HP V-Twin OHV engine. The operator manual recommends using either 10W-30, 10W-40 or 5W-30, and which one depends on the outside temperature range the vehicle will be operating. If you look in the Briggs & Stratton V-Twin OHV repair manual, Briggs recommends using 30 weight oil above 40 degrees F, and recommends only using a multi viscosity oil if the outside temperature drops below 40F. The reason Briggs & Stratton recommends using 30 weight and not a multi viscosity oil above 40F is because the higher air cooled engine operating temperatures can cause a multi viscosity oil to break down, and the higher operating temperatures can cause increased oil consumption when using a multi viscosity oil. Both can cause engine damage. Below 40F 30 weight oil becomes so thick it can cause hard starting and inadequate lubrication, so Briggs & Stratton recommends a multi viscosity oil when the outside temperature is below 40F.

I thought it was funny that John Deere and Briggs & Stratton recommend different oils for operating the same engine when the outside temperature is above 40F. I personally agree with Briggs & Stratton, because a multi viscosity oil is more likely to break down when used in a hotter running air cooled engine. Its easy enough to check the oil every time you use the vehicle, so oil consumption isn't something I would be concerned about for me personally. The only problem with using 30 weight oil is to remember to change to a multi viscosity oil when the outside temperature drops below 40F.

Just for reference the Briggs & Stratton 16HP OHV V-Twin engine used in the XUV550 uses the following oil filters:

John Deere part #AM125424
Briggs & Stratton part #492932
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The Small Engine Shop

John Deere Gator XUV550 recommended oil and oil filter
« on: October 01, 2013, 10:05:47 PM »