Author Topic: Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall and Harley Davidson  (Read 527 times)

smallengineshop

Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall and Harley Davidson
« on: January 23, 2024, 07:01:27 PM »
In 1947 Hollywood released the movie Dark Passage, starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. The movie is based on the 1946 novel, Dark Passage, and is available to watch for free on Tubi.

Several Harley Davidson FL motorcycles appear in this film, which I think are all California Highway Patrol motorcycles, but they could belong to the studio. In a couple of scenes you can clearly see the motorcycle engines distinct rocker boxes that gave this engine the nickname Knucklehead.

The Harley Davidson Knucklehead engine was manufactured from 1936 to 1947. Dark Passage was released during the last year of production for the Knucklehead engine. In the following year it was replaced by the Harley Davidson Panhead engine.

The Knucklehead engine is a 45 degree, OHV, v-twin engine with 2 valves per cylinder. Displacement was around 1200 cubic centimeters. A kick starter was used to start the engine. Power from the Knucklehead engine was fed through a 4 speed manual transmission and chain final drive on FL models. I believe the cost for a Harley Davidson FL motorcycle in 1946 and 1947 was between $600 and $700. A 1946 or 47 Harley Davidson FL motorcycle today in excellent condition, I would think would be worth over $100,000, or close to it.

Dark Passage is a good film and I recommend everyone watch it. American films were different back than. Nobody was pushing a homosexual agenda. Men were men and women were women. Nobody in public life was confused about their sex, and if they were it was hidden, and rightfully so. Racial discrimination wasn't policy back than. You hired who you want. Hollywood was required to adhere to the Hays code, which made them walk a moral line. American films were better back than.

Click image to enlarge:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 05:01:35 PM by adminjoe »
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.