Author Topic: HONDA HHT 25S WITH GX25 4 CYCLE WON'T ACCELERATE  (Read 746 times)

GEORGE888

HONDA HHT 25S WITH GX25 4 CYCLE WON'T ACCELERATE
« on: July 19, 2016, 07:08:06 PM »
SORRY IN ADVANCE FOR THE CAPS, BUT I GOT HALFWAY THROUGH THIS POST BEFORE I REALIZED IT.

HONDA HHT 25S WITH GX 25 ENGINE ABOUT 3 YEARS OLD

MACHINE GRADUALLY STARTED TO LOSE POWER (WOULDN'T REV TO FULL SPEED), AND FINALLY BECAME UNUSABLE.
AFTER READING POSTS FROM VARIOUS SOURCES, I CONCLUDED IT WAS PROBABLY A FUEL DELIVERY ISSUE.  SO, RATHER THAN TRYING TO REBUILD THE CARB, IT WAS EASIER TO BUY ONE ONLINE.

AFTER SWITCHING CARBS, I REASSEMBLED THE MACHINE, SAME EXACT PROBLEM, MAYBE A LITTLE WORSE.

I SAID "WHY DIDN'T I CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER, THAT MUST DEFINITELY BE THE PROBLEM".
SO, I BOUGHT A NEW FILTER, AND NEW FUEL AND RETURN LINES, NO DICE.

BUT NOW, THE MACHINE WOULD BARELY IDLE.  AS SOON AS I TOUCHED THE THROTTLE, IT STALLED.
SO, I SAID LET ME PUT THE ORIGINAL CARB BACK ON WITH THE NEW FILTER AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

NOW IT GETS STRANGER.  I THOUGHT MAYBE I REVERSED THE FUEL LINE AND THE RETURN LINE ON THE CARB.  I LOOKED ONLINE, FOUND A SCHEMATIC WHICH SHOWS THAT THE SUPPLY LINE GOES ON THE PORT FURTHEST FROM THE PRIMER BULB.

I HOOKED UP THE LINES CORRECTLY(TRIED ON BOTH NEW AND OLD CARBS), PUMPING THE PRIMER BULB VIGEROUSLY, NO FUEL APPEARS IN THE PRIMER BULB AND NOW THE ENGINE DOESN'T EVEN START.  HOWEVER IF I REVERSE THE FUEL AND RETURN LINES(WHERE THEY DON'T BELONG), THE ENGINE WILL RUN AT IDLE, BUT WILL NOT ACCELERATE.

I'M ABOUT READY TO GIVE UP.  IF IT WAS A CHEAP MACHINE FROM A HOME CENTER, I WOULD JUST THROW IT OUT.
BUT IT WAS PURCHASED FROM AN AUTHORIZED HONDA DEALER AND WAS OVER $300.00.

SO NOW I AM OUT 1 CARB, SOME FUEL FILTERS, AND A NEW FUEL LINE SET, AND MAYBE A STRING TRIMMER.

SORRY FOR RAMBLING ON, BUT I HAVE SPENT ABOUT 10 HOURS SCREWING AROUND WITH THIS MACHINE.

ANY HELP AND/OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED

GEORGE

smallengineshop

Re: HONDA HHT 25S WITH GX25 4 CYCLE WON'T ACCELERATE
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »
I would do a compression test, if possible, or a leak down test. Check for vacuum leaks. Definitely get a manual if your going to do this work yourself and follow the manual.

Any updates on your progress?
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The Small Engine Shop

Re: HONDA HHT 25S WITH GX25 4 CYCLE WON'T ACCELERATE
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »