Author Topic: Kohler Courage XT 7  (Read 665 times)

Terry

Kohler Courage XT 7
« on: June 20, 2016, 08:48:44 PM »
I purchased a Husqvarna front wheel drive, electric start, self propelled mower with a Kohler Courage XT 7 engine on it in August 2012. The first couple of years I had it I didn't have any problems with it. Every spring I'd take it to the Out Door Power Equipment company I bought it from for service ( oil change, blade sharping and the once over to make sure it was good to go.) Last year about mid way through the season I noticed that it was leaking fuel from the carburetor bowl. I took it over to the equipment company and they repaired it, they also informed me the leak was due to ethenol in fuel ( I 'm pretty sure all gas nowadays has ethenol in it, but what ever.) So I took care to make sure that most of the gas was run out of it. Had another fuel leak, took it in now it needed a carburetor kit, spent money on that. Got it home mowed once with it another fuel leak, took it back, they said the "jet" was bad, they fixed that at no charge.
Mowed twice with it went to use it for the third time wasn't running right, low idle, no power. I tried starting it the next day and of course it wouldn't start. Took it back in now it needs a valve job, they say it's part of " routine maintenance".
My question is what schedule are they going by??

smallengineshop

Re: Kohler Courage XT 7
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 03:48:47 PM »
Here is a link to the service manual for the Kohler XT series or XT-7 engine:
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/14_690_01_EN.pdf

On page 3 it lists the maintenance schedule for this engine and on page 49 it talks about adjusting valve lash when reassembling the engine. I couldn't find anywhere in the manual where they talk about valve adjustment being part of routine maintenance.

Kohler offers free technical support for service related questions. You might want to ask them if they have any dealerships near you with certified technicians. Their contact page is:
http://www.kohlerengines.com/contact/contact.htm
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The Small Engine Shop

Re: Kohler Courage XT 7
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 03:48:47 PM »