Motorcycles > American V-Twin Motorcycles.

Harley Davidson's New Motorcycle Accessorie Lock

(1/1)

smallengineshop:
Harley Davidson has a new lock for motorcycle accessories called a retractable cable lock. This type of lock is very handy and versatile because its small, self contained, cable is retractable and the lock doesn't require a key. This type of lock is not new and has been around for a few years now. Master Lock makes one that is very similar to the Harley Davidson retractable cable lock with the same size cable, but has 3 combination dials instead of 4. The Harley Davidson retractable cable lock is made by Kryptonite.

I've owned the blue Master Lock 4605D retractable cable lock for a few years now. I've never used it to secure anything to a motorcycle, but I did think about using it to secure a soft luggage trunk bag to the rear rack on a KLR, and I did use it once to secure a back pack to the seat on a Greyhound bus.

I think Harley's intended purpose for this lock is to secure items like a jacket or helmet to the motorcycle. This type of lock is meant to prevent someone from casually picking up your property and walking away with it. They're not meant to prevent a brute force attack. Anyone with diagnol cutting pliers can cut through the cable. The security level found on this lock is similar to cable locks used to secure a laptop or PC to a table or desk if you have ever seen one of those.

I don't think it matters if the retractable cable lock has 3 combination dials or 4. The 4 dial combination does offer 10,000 possible combinations instead of 1,000 offered by the 3 dial, but if someone wants your item their not going to sit there and try and guess the combination. It's much easier to cut the cable.

Click on the photo to view the item on Harley's website:

Click on the photo to view the Kryptonite retractable cable lock on Amazon. This is a paid link and the lock is $20.95 on Amazon.

Click on the photo to view the Master Lock 4605D on Amazon. This is a paid link and the lock is only $14.95 on Amazon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version