Author Topic: B/S 31C700,16.5 engine pumps oil through a galley below the intake pushrod  (Read 1478 times)

mowerman

My well used Murray mower, with the above B/S engine, pumps oil into the valve cover through a galley located just under the intake pushrod. This oil is milky as it is being pumped but allowed to set for 15 minutes goes back to its normal color and consistency. I removed the head and found the gasket to be intact, no indication of a leak on the block or the head or the gasket. I removed the breather valve  assembly (the reed valve as well as all else)and found it to be in good condition also.  Very clean.This all started with the engine being hard to turn over even with a fully charged good battery. I reset the valves and this helped to some degree. It did begin again to be hard to turn over. I then removed the valve cover and found it to be 1/4 full of oil. The motor does start with 3-4 tries, it runs good and idles as it should.  It does not smoke as it is running but will on occasion emit a large puff of grayish white smoke and then the smoke is gone... The oil consumption is not excessive. If anyone might have an idea as to what causes this issue I would appreciate their advice.   Thank you, ........Tom

smallengineshop

You said it will occasionally emit smoke, but does this happen while your mowing or when you first start it? How do you know your battery is in good condition? I have a feeling your battery is causing the hard starting issue. Make sure you have it professionally tested.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:43:52 PM by smallengineshop »
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

mowerman

Thank you for your reply. The battery is a 300 CCA type which is less than a year old. It was removed from a Snapper where it was starting that mower appropriately.  I re-adjusted the the valves (doing a much better job this time) and the mower now has no starting issue.  I did remove the head checking for a possible head gasket issue. I found no evidence of a possible leak on the head or block nor any damage to the gasket itself.  I replaced the old gasket with a new one. The smoke was emitted only when the mower was running and cutting. The last time it happened was when I was turning at the top of a rather steep incline and it was only for perhaps 5-10 seconds.I believe the issue could have been an over filled crankcase as it did not smoke at all when I cut the same yard yesterday. It does not smoke when firdt cranked nor while idling. I replaced the well worn blades yesterday and I was  pleased with how the mower started, how smoothly it ran and the quality of the cut. Thanks again for your input........Tom  P.S. Yes, He did!

smallengineshop

Thanks for posting what you found out...
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The Small Engine Shop