Author Topic: Better Luck Finding A Leprechaun's Pot Of Gold Than A Motorcycle Mechanic Job?  (Read 18 times)

smallengineshop

Borrowed this pic from UTI, http://www.uti.edu

A big problem for the motorcycle repair industry are a lack of jobs and good locations where you can work. Go to any job listing website and search for motorcycle mechanic and see how many listings appear. I did this at careerbuilder.com searching for "motorcycle mechanic" in a major west coast city, and 87 jobs appeared, but not a single job was really for motorcycle repair. They were all wanted ads for automotive mechanic's. I tried searching again for "motorcycle technician," just to see if a job would appear that maybe i missed in the first search, and 89 jobs appeared and not a single one was for a motorcycle mechanic.

Today is June 23, one of the warmest months of the year for motorcycle riding. A time when motorcycle dealerships are at their busiest, but not a single job opening for a motorcycle mechanic on a popular job listing website like careerbuilder.com. Granted, this has been an unusual year with the Wuhan virus, lock down and civil unrest, but you would expect to see at least one job listing. I went back to careerbuilder.com and searched for "automotive mechanic" in the same city and 112 jobs appeared. Change the word 'mechanic' to 'technician' and 167 jobs appear, and all the jobs in the search results are actually for automotive repair.

Lets say your lucky enough to find employment at a motorcycle dealership in your town or city, but something goes wrong. Maybe the dealership changes owners, or you don't get along with a coworker or shop manager, or maybe the pay is low with no opportunity for advancement. Than what do you do? You can try working for another dealership, but many town's and cities don't have multiple dealership's, or their locations are far from where you live. One option is to start your own shop, but that requires a large investment and it becomes more risky than finding a good motorcycle mechanic job. Add a family to that equation and everything becomes even more difficult.

I can't count how many times I've read trade schools reviews for motorcycle repair and it mentions a short stent in the motorcycle repair industry that lasted a year or two. One reason for this is lack of jobs, but probably the number one reason is low pay. Sure you can try changing to another shop with higher pay, but odds are working for better pay will require relocating to another town or city or changing careers entirely, and that just sucks.

If you really do love repairing vehicles, then a career in automotive or big trucks is the way to go. There are so many more jobs and opportunities for repair technicians in those fields than what is found in the motorcycle industry. It pains me to say that because I wish the motorcycle industry offered better pay and more opportunities for technicians.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 02:33:10 AM by adminjoe »
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.