Author Topic: Overpriced But Very Nice 1985 Honda Spree 50 cc - $1200  (Read 144 times)

smallengineshop

Overpriced But Very Nice 1985 Honda Spree 50 cc - $1200
« on: June 08, 2020, 06:12:56 PM »

Here is a very nice 1985 Honda Spree scooter listed on craigslist. Its in very good condition, low mileage, one owner, but the asking price is $1200 FIRM. Yikes! Here's what the owner says about the scooter:

1985 Honda Spree 50 cc. Like new. 316 actual miles. One owner. Runs perfectly; always kept inside.
Everything works as it should. New battery.
This is the nicest Spree you will ever see.
I have all the original documents: bill of sale, Honda warranty, distributor's warranty, inspection checklist, original title.
Buy Honda quality and it won't leave you stranded like some cheaper brands. Honda also has part availability that cheaper brands don't.

$1200 FIRM because it's worth it.
Delivery available.

I don't understand how so many of these sellers arrive at their asking price. Maybe because it's old and with low mileage they think its worth 2 or 3 times as much, and maybe it is too a collector. I don't think this spree is worth any where near $1200 for someone looking for a scooter for everyday use. Nada Guides has it valued at less than $500 for a 1985 Honda Spree in excellent condition. But that's not to say he won't find someone to buy it. A 1985 Honda motorcycle or scooter could be brand new and still in the box, but it's still a 35 year old vehicle. Here are some reason why I don't like the asking price.

The 1985 Honda Spree uses a single speed belt drive making it slow compared to newer 50cc scooters. Some Spree's even came with a restricted exhaust making them even slower. Top speed for the faster Spree is around 30mph and 25mph for the slower one. This performance is more like a moped than a modern scooter. For practical use a cheap 50cc Chinese scooter will out perform a 1985 Honda Spree in top speed. Also, because of its age, rubber components degrade over time causing failure. Two stroke engine's are dependent on rubber seals in the crankcase for proper engine operation. To replace the seals requires taking the engine off the bike and splitting the case. To make this bike really reliable would require replacing all the rubber components, which is expensive. Contrary to what the seller says in his ad, many of the parts for this scooter are no longer available at Honda dealerships. And also contrary to what the craigslist ad says, this scooter is not worth $1200 for most people.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 09:07:23 PM by adminjoe »
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.