Author Topic: Don't Throw Away Your Old Helmet.......  (Read 33 times)

smallengineshop

Don't Throw Away Your Old Helmet.......
« on: May 17, 2020, 09:55:27 PM »
Paint It!

My older 3/4 face Bell helmet was looking old and raggid, so I sanded down the finish and painted it. Everything I needed for the job is available at your local Walmart except for the sticker. I got the sticker at Autozone, and the only reason I added the sticker is to see how affective clear coat will be for protecting the paper sticker. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for everything and I bought things I really didn't need. I think you can do the job for around $30 give or take some if you use inferior or better quality paints, polish, tape etc.Here"s a list of everything I used to paint the helmet:

Rustoleum Flat Gray Primer
Rustoleum Semi Gloss Clear Coat
Rustoleum Blossum White
Rustoleum Flat Matte Black
1" Blue Painters Tape
1.5" Blue Painters Tape
240 grit wet/dry sand paper
400 grit wet/dry sand paper
600 grit wet/dry sand paper
1500 grit wet/dri sand paper
2000 grit wet/dry sand paper
Mcguiar's Ultimate Compound

I made quite a few mistakes, but I like how it turned out. The toughest part was making straight line borders for the white stripes. If I had to do it again I might use narrow pin striping tape to create the borders, but I really don't know how a professional does it. I used Mcguiar's Ultimate Compound to do the final polish on the helmet, but I noticed Mcguiar's also has a polish, so maybe I missed a step, but I think it looks good the way it is, so I'm going to leave it.

I think helmets are supposed to be replaced every 5 year for safety reason, so I'm not recommending anyone ignore safety. However, if you have an old helmet lying around and gathering dust, painting it is a good way to improve its looks and a lot cheaper than buying a new helmet.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 05:34:28 PM by adminjoe »
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.