Author Topic: Honda harmony 215 lawn mower  (Read 1242 times)

jbanes1961

Honda harmony 215 lawn mower
« on: August 31, 2015, 01:58:22 AM »
Hi all, I'm new to site. I recently cracked open the crankcase on my engine to fix an oil leak. After I got it all back together, it was over revving. I adjusted the governed speed to 3200 rpm. I think that's real close to specs. Now engine is hunting and surging. If I hold the governor arm steady, the engine will hold a constant rpm. I took carb completely apart and cleaned it. The only thing a noticed with the carburetor, was a somewhat wore needle valve. I'm not really sure what to look for next. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

smallengineshop

Re: Honda harmony 215 lawn mower
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »
Surging problems are usually caused by fuel related problems. A common carburetor problem is a dirty carburetor caused from storing the lawnmower for long periods of time without using fuel stabilizer. Usually cleaning the carburetor will solve the problem, but cleaning the carburetor is not always easy. Cleaning requires dis-assembly and soaking the carburetor body and parts (not plastic or rubber parts) in carburetor cleaner, than rinsing everything off and using compressed air to clean out all the hidden passages. Using a can of carb cleaner to clean the parts of the carb you can see is not a good cleaning method. Sometimes cleaning doesn't work and the carburetor needs to be replaced.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

jbanes1961

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 12:42:51 AM »
First off,thanks for the response. I'm sure your right about it being a fuel issue. When I run engine choked,it seems to smooth out.So it is running lean. I took carb apart,except for mixture needle, because it has a limiter,which I didn't want to break off to get it out. I also didn't remove choke valve or throttle valve. But I did disassemble everything else including main jet and E tube. Also the pilot  jet. I then shot half can of carb cleaner in every port I could find and blew it out with compressed air. Honestly, I've seen a lot worse carbs as far as dirt is concerned. The main and etube had a hazy kind of surface but not dirty. Wondering if I should invest in new jets and a rebuild kit,or just scrap it and buy a carb. What you think?

smallengineshop

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 02:08:05 PM »
Its hard for me to say without seeing the mower.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The Small Engine Shop

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 02:08:05 PM »