Author Topic: replace belt and cable on Lawnboy 10605  (Read 3337 times)

northpoint

replace belt and cable on Lawnboy 10605
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:27:36 AM »
I saw the video on the Lawnboy 10605 self propelled mower on Youtube. That is the model I have. The belt that propels the mower broke and so did the cable. I have had no luck figuring out how to replace them. I took the covers off so the mower looks just like the picture. I don't see the any pulley on the shaft to attach to.
Then I tried to figure out how to replace the cable. I can't thread it from the top of the mower because the spring is too large and if I thread it from underneath then it gets stuck and I can't pull it through. The part that anchors the cable to the frame is too wide to pull all the way through.
Any help on how to install the belt and the cable would be appreciated.

smallengineshop

Re: replace belt and cable on Lawnboy 10605
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 01:55:03 PM »
I am going to make another video to try and answer your questions. Give me a day or two to get the video made and uploaded. I will post a link to the video in this thread.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

smallengineshop

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:24:36 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AMT26ZjsVKw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AMT26ZjsVKw</a>
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

northpoint

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »
Thanks for the quick response to my question. Unfortunately this newer model is too different to apply to my situation.
I am going to take 1 thing at a time. First putting in the new drive cable: if you look at the original video you posted on the lawnboy model 10605, at about 1 minute 16 seconds in, at the bottom of the picture you see where the spring of the cable is attached inside of the frame and has to go through the hole in the bottom of the frame. At about 45 seconds into the video, the middle top of the picture shows where the cable comes through. It is the far one; the closer one is the cable for the blade stop.
My problem is I can't thread the cable from the top because the spring won't fit through the small hole. If I thread it through from the bottom, then the part of the cable that anchors it to the frame won't fit through the hole. I could grab it with pliers and try to pull it through but I don't want to break it. If I could detach the spring from the rest of the cable I could thread it through from the top, but I don't see how to do that and get the cable back inside the spring.
I hope I described this so you will know what I mean.
Thanks again for any help.

smallengineshop

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 04:15:26 PM »
At 46 seconds into the 10605 video you can see two cables. The top cable is the traction cable, part #112-8817, which your trying to replace, and the cable just beneath it is the Brake Cable, part #119-7005. Around the hole for the Brake Cable is a rubber grommet. If you remove the rubber grommet, is there a slot cut into the frame connecting the hole for the brake cable and the hole for the traction cable? I have a feeling you need to route the cable through the hole for the brake cable starting from under neath the mower, than once you have the plastic stop located on top of the mower body, slide the cable over to the hole for the traction cable and insert the plastic stop. You might need to remove the brake cable first to make room for routing the traction cable. Once the traction cable is routed, than reinstall the brake cable. The spring attached to the traction cable isn't designed to be removed, and you will probably damage the cable if you  try to remove the spring. I think you will also damage the plastic stop if you try and force it through the hole for the traction cable.

Let me know what you find out.....
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 04:22:21 PM by smallengineshop »

northpoint

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 11:08:32 AM »
How right you were about the connection between the two holes. Of course I had to remove the brake cable (it's never easy) and then insert the drive cable, move it over and put everything back together. I don't know if I would have ever found it without your help.
Next step: I just ordered a deep socket to remove the hexnut  on the shaft so I can
get to the pulley for the drive belt. I am hoping it is not a reverse thread so I turn the correct way. Also I'm not sure how to immobilize the shaft while I remove the hexnut. I had to take the blade off to get to all this.

smallengineshop

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 02:02:47 PM »
If you use an impact wrench you can usually get bolts off without having to hold another part from moving. I have a set of pry bars and strap wrenches I use to hold parts from moving while removing or tightening bolts or nuts.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:53:53 PM by smallengineshop »

northpoint

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »
I got the hexnut off by putting a screwdriver through the slots in the drum and pulley. It may not be the best way, but my tools are limited. I put the belt on the pulley and put those parts back together, but then the pull start wouldn't pull. I made something too tight. So I took it apart, and the second time it was okay.
Before I put the blade on and tighten down the lock nuts, I want to be sure I have the blade and it's supporting parts correct. It's been a while since I started this project, and I forgot to take an initial picture. In the attached picture is the blade correct?: from this view it would turn counterclockwise to cut. Also the circular disc in front of the drum could face either way, but this way looks right to me.

Update 9-4-15: Put it all back together including the plastic housings not shown in the picture, and everything worked.
My thanks for all the help.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:53:46 AM by northpoint »

smallengineshop

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 02:59:32 PM »
Glad you got it working.

Looks good to me. The sharpened part or the blade should point in the direction of rotation, and the curved part will point toward the mower.

You tell which direction the engine rotates when running by disconnecting the spark plug, than pull the starter rope while watching which way the end of the engine crankshaft rotates.

The Small Engine Shop

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 02:59:32 PM »