Author Topic: Flooding engine after running out of gas  (Read 1295 times)

scooterh

Flooding engine after running out of gas
« on: May 19, 2015, 11:22:42 AM »
I have a Toro LX500 riding mower that I purchased used late last year.  Twice now after running out of gas while mowing, upon refilling the tank it won't start.  The engine appears to be flooding.  The plastic box under the air filter is full of gas.  The first time it happened I took it to the shop - they told me the float was stuck.  Cleaned the carb, and everything was good, until again, after running out of gas the same thing is now happening.  I find it a little hard to believe the issue is just a dirty carb - seems way too coincidental.  Any ideas what might be happening here?  I think I probably left the key in the on position both times when I refilled the gas - could this be why (thinking maybe the solenoid shutoff valve was open), but a totally uneducated guess.

smallengineshop

Re: Flooding engine after running out of gas
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »
Check your fuel lines and make sure the line is in good condition and all fuel line connections are good.

Are able to start the mower again? The mower ran out of gas, so its going to take a few extra engine cranks to get fuel from the gas tank to the carburetor.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

scooterh

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »
No, mower will not start.  All the lines are fine.  Gas making it to carb fine, engine is flooding, gas is visible pooled up below air cleaner.

smallengineshop

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 05:31:56 PM »
Sounds like you still have carburetor problems. Its best to have it professionally cleaned and rebuilt.

Make sure gas hasn't leaked into the crankcase and mixed with the engine oil. If it has, than you need to change the oil/filter before starting the engine.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The Small Engine Shop

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 05:31:56 PM »