Author Topic: Kohler 27HP with ball bearing in breather  (Read 1199 times)

Kohler 27HP with ball bearing in breather
« on: April 21, 2015, 08:28:44 PM »
I watched a few of your videos, and found them very well done. 

I have a Craftsman DGT 6000 with a 27HP Kohler twin engine CV740.  The engine was built in 2004, but it only has a little over 1100 hours on it when I got it last year.  The previous owner bought it to mow his large yard, but decided it was too much work and hired someone to do it with their equipment.  I used it the last half of the summer with no problems.

It was hard to start the first of this season, and I pulled the air cleaner to spray a little starting fluid in.  When I pulled the air cleaner, I found about a 1/4" ball bearing in the air cleaner.  After doing some digging on the internet, I found others had the same issue and it was diagnosed as the Fuel Spit Back System. 

There is a rubber hose above the spit back cup assembly, and the cup assembly itself has a nipple on it.  Unfortunately, I can't figure out where the ball bearing came from.  Did it come out of the rubber hose, or is it used to plug the nipple on the spit back cup?  Why even have the nipple if you plug it?

Anyway, what are your recommendations for fixing this?

Re: Kohler 27HP with ball bearing in breather
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 05:06:35 PM »
I don't even think the ball bearing shows up on the parts diaphragm for your engine because it is part of the Fuel Spitback Cup. If you have the 4 digit spec number for your engine (it follows the CV740 number), than you can look up the part number for all Kohler engine parts on the Kohlers engine website. Kohler has top notch support! I wouldn't want any loose ball bearings any where near the engine intake, so I recommend replacing the part with a new one.

Let me know what happens.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The Small Engine Shop

Re: Kohler 27HP with ball bearing in breather
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 05:06:35 PM »