Author Topic: Kawasaki KLR 650 used in Reprisal starring Bruce Willis & Johnathon Schaech  (Read 2269 times)

smallengineshop

You know a movie is not realistic when a Kawasaki KLR 650 is used as a get away vehicle. OK, I guess some movies are more believable than others. Movie moguls had Ryan Gosling riding a Honda CRF230L and Suzuki DR-Z400S as get away vehicles in the movie The Place Beyond the Pines, but those slower motorcycles fit with the story line of a down and out character who's occupation is a stunt rider for the globe of death. The movie Reprisal starring Bruce Willis, Frank Grillo and Johnathon Schaech has Johnathon Schaech's character, Gabriel, a high end thief with plenty of cash, riding a Kawasaki KLR 650 to transport himself to a heist and make his escape when the cops show up sooner than expected. The character didn't even bother removing the knobby tires for a journey that took place entirely on asphalt. Any motorcyclist who has ever ridden a KLR 650 knows its a slow motorcycle and a bad choice for out running cops or anything else for that matter short of an electric wheel chair. The movie also never uses KLR motor sounds. Everything was dubbed over with sounds coming from what I think is a higher performance thumper to make the movie motorcycle appear faster than it actually is.

The movie bike is primarily blacked out but with dark gray (i might be color blind) paint on the fairing and sides of the gas tank. Its a second generation KLR 650 with the decals completely removed. The exact model year is difficult to determine because all KLR 650's from 2012 to 2018 look very similar. The second generation KLR 650 began in 2008 but in 2012 through 2018 Kawasaki blacked out the swing arm, forks and rims, and in the latter half of 2014 Kawasaki upgraded the KLR 650 seat by changing the cushion and using a different color pattern for the seat cover. The movie bike does have blacked out rims, swing arm and forks, but the seat cover looks stock and uses a pre mid-2014 color pattern. That would narrow down the model year between 2012 through mid-2014. In 2014 Kawasaki manufactured a KLR 650 which seems to match the paint used on the movie bike, so I'm guessing the Kawasaki KLR 650 used in Reprisal is a 2014 model before the new edition came out. I could easily be wrong. Its hard to see details of motorcycles in movies because their usually shown in action scenes and the clips are short and the lighting doesn't favor seeing details.

Johnathon Schaech pushing a Kawasaki KLR 650 in the movie Reprisal.

You can see the blacked out rear rim and swing arm on the KLR650 in this photo.

The Kawasaki KLR 650 cockpit.

The Kawasaki KLR 650 and Johnathon Schaech being chased by cops.

You can see the different colors of the gas tank used on the Kawasaki KLR 650 in this photo.

This is the best image I could get of the seat cover after zooming in and playing with the levels in Photoshop.

The only photo I could find of a 2014 Kawasaki KLR 650 with the correct paint is a new edition model.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:15:35 PM by adminjoe »
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.