Motorcycles > Motorcycles & Sometimes Other Vehicles In Hollywood Movies, TV & media

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Rides A Kawasaki Versys 650 LT in the movie Skyscraper

(1/1)

smallengineshop:
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson rides a Kawasaki Versys 650 LT in his latest movie, Skyscraper. The scene supposedly takes place in Hong Kong, China. The Rock's character, Will Sawyer, finds the motorcycle in the street lying on its side after a Hong Kong police motorcop takes a spill. Sawyer picks up the bike and rides off to escape being shot by movie villains.

The motorcycle scene is short and filmed at night so it limits how much detail about the motorcycle you can see. However, there a few things that stick out and fans of the Versys motorcycle can probably ID this bike much faster than I did. For one, the unique shape of the saddle bags is a good clue that this is a Kawasaki Versys motorcycle, and the absence of a protruding muffle from the side and rear of the motorcycle indicates this is a Versys 650 and not the 1000 model. Other clues were the overall shape of the motorcyce, chain final drive, hand gaurds, wheel rims, fairing design, headlight shape and shape of plastic shrouds seen when the bike is lying in the street. There have been two generations of Kawasaki Versys 650 motorcycles and this bike is definitely a second generation. The second generation was first manufactured in 2015 and continues to this day. I don't know what year Versys motorcycle they used in this movie because all 2015 through 2018 Versys 650 LT motorcycles are pretty much identical except for paint, and the bike in this movie does not have stock paint. My best guess is this Kawasaki Versys 650 LT is a 2016 model based on how long I think it takes to produce a movie from writing to an actual product seen in theaters.

I searched online to find actual motorcycles used in Hong Kong for police duty, but none of them were made by Kawasaki. They were mostly Honda and BMW motorcycles, which makes me wonder if this movie was actually filmed in China, and if it was, did the film crew use a motorcycle used by the Hong Kong police? The Rock is a big person so its understandable why the film people wouldn't want him seen riding a Honda CB300 and might create their own Hong Kong police motorcycle based on the Kawasaki Versys.

I actually saved clips of this movie to make a video, but I'm not sure what the rules are about using movie clips in YouTube videos. I guess there is one sure way to find out.....

The Kawasaki Versys 650 LT lying in the street after a Hong Kong motorcop crashes the bike.

The Kawasaki Versys 650 LT left side. In this picture you can see how bad the lighting is for seeing detail. However, you can make out the wheel rim design, saddle bag shape, overall bike shape and chain final drive.

The Kawasaki Versys 650 LT hand guards.

The Kawasaki Versys 650 LT rear shot of the motorcycle. Notice you can't see a muffler.

The Kawasaki  Versys 650 LT and The Rock riding off into downtown Hong Kong to escape being shot by movie villains.

The following photo's are different Kawasaki Versys 650 LT year model motorcycles from 2015 to 2018:

The 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT

The 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT

The 2017 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. Notice the position of the reflector on the front fork is different in this photo.

The 2018 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. The reflector is missing on the rear saddle bag.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version