Author Topic: Harley Davidson Heated Vest Finally Gives Up The Ghost? Not Yet!  (Read 183 times)

smallengineshop

Harley Davidson Heated Vest Finally Gives Up The Ghost? Not Yet!
« on: February 02, 2018, 06:11:40 PM »
I've used the Harley Davidson 12v heated vest, part #98325-09VM, for 8, maybe 9, winter seasons, and it has been a great vest. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it, but I think it was around $150 from a local Harley dealership. Its not bulky and its light weight, and it doesn't make you feel like your over dressed and can't move freely. The vest's current draw is high enough to keep you warm on most cold riding days when used with a jacket, but low enough so low output alternator's on low-end bikes can power it without any battery problems. Over the years I have only experienced 2 problems, and both issues had to do with the main power cord. When I first bought the vest I would place the power switch inside the inner pocket when I was done using it. This caused the copper wiring to break from repeated bending after 4 or 5 years of use. I'm not talking about the wiring mesh used to heat up the vest, I'm talking about the visible power cord that plugs into the bikes battery. I think the bending from placing the switch in the inner pocket weakened the wires and caused them to eventually break. After I fixed the problem with some soldier, electric tape and a terminal butt connector, I stopped messing with the switch after I was done riding and I just let it freely hang there. The repair worked for 4 more years, but just the other day I experienced the same problem. In the photo's below you can see how the wiring and insulation is broken causing an open circuit. I think this new problem was also partly caused from the first 4 or 5 years of use, and I also think the bulky connectors and switch indirectly helped cause the new break in the wires. Sometimes I squeeze through tight spaces while wearing the vest and the connectors and switch get pinched, which causes a pull on the wires. To fix the problem I decided to do away with the bulky original connectors and electrical switch and replace everything with a small and light weight connector that's commonly found on trickle chargers. I don't remember the name of the connector, but you can see it in the photo below. I have the same type of connector permanently attached to the motorcycle for plugging in a charger to charge the bikes battery. I ran an extension from that connector up to the tank bag, so I can easily plug in the vest and I'm good to go.

I think by not having the original bulky heavy connectors and electrical switch I can get another 4 years of use out of this vest. Unfortunately, Harley Davidson no longer sells it and it has been replaced by one powered by a portable 7v rechargeable lithium battery. Oh, and I never fold this vest, which is probably why I never experienced a break with the copper mesh inside the lining used to heat the vest.

Anyway, this vest was an excellent buy and I only wish Harley Davidson still sold the exact same one.

Click on any photo to enlarge it.

The Harley Davidson heated vest, part #98325-
09VM

The power cord wires and insulation are broken
causing an open circuit.

The old bulky and heavy electrical connectors
and electrical on/off switch.

The old bulky electrical on/off switch. The only
thing I will miss is the LED light showing
the switch is ON.

The new lighter and smaller power cord
wire and connector.

The logo Harley Davidson used on the vest

The inside collar tag. Its so old the tag below
it faded so you can no longer read it.

The tags located near the bottom, inner
part of the vest. Notice it was
manufactured in May 2008.

The extension I used to extend the power cord
up to the tank bag to make it easier to plug
the vest in.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 03:29:53 PM by adminjoe »
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.