Author Topic: Why Motorcycle Dealerships Are Sometimes Called Stealerships  (Read 28 times)

smallengineshop

Why Motorcycle Dealerships Are Sometimes Called Stealerships
« on: November 26, 2017, 06:03:58 PM »

I found a used motorcycle online sold by a Honda dealership in another state. The price for the bike was right at its blue book value for a bike in excellent condition. Normally, a used motorcycle sold by a dealership has a higher sale price than their blue book value, so I sent an email asking for the total cost including all fees and taxes. The email I got back from them made my mouth drop.

The motorcycle was listed online for $1,999.00. It was supposedly discounted from its previous price of $2499.00.  I know this particular model isn't popular and the dealership is probably having trouble selling it, which explains why it was discounted. I was hoping they would be more reasonable with fees, but they weren't. Here is a break down of the motorcycle's total cost from the dealership:

- $1,999.00 listed advertised sale price

- $560.00 UVC Assembly/PDI - PDI stands for pre delivery inspection and UVC stands for used vehicle certification  If your buying a new vehicle your charged a fee to assemble the motorcycle and do a PDI. A used vehicle doesn't need assembly, so your charged a fee for a UVC. I think the acronym UVC is only used in Arizona. A UVC and PDI are just another way of saying "vehicle inspection." Basically a PDI and UVC is walking around the vehicle and making sure everything works; all fluids are at their proper level; everything is adjusted properly, and maybe ending with a test ride. Assembling a motorcycle can involve as little as installing the handle bars, and a vehicle inspection can be done in a very short amount of time. The guys doing this type of work are most likely newbies and are not paid very well; i would say between $9 and $13 per hour.  A vehicle inspection charge may also have been applied when the previous owner traded in the used vehicle for a new one, and hidden within the trade in value. It wouldn't surprise me if a dealership makes money on both ends.

- $550.32 Document, License, Registration: - It doesn't cost a dealership $550.32 to license and register a vehicle, so most of this fee is a charge to have a secretary do all the paperwork. Again, a secretary is another dealership employee making less than $20 per hour, and the document work for a new or used motorcycle is done in a very short amount of time.

- $225.19 Tax - This is a legitimate fee every dealership must charge.

The total cost for this motorcycle is $3,334.52. That's a 67% markup over the listed sale price of $1999.00. A dealership has employees to pay, so I understand the additional fees. What I don't understand is why the fees are so high. The dealership markup on a document, assembly and vehicle inspection fee is ridiculous! Its no wonder why motorcycle dealership's are often referred to as stealership's; it feels like they're stealing your money. The smart thing to do is save your money and pay cash for a used vehicle from a private seller; compare prices for accessories and parts for your motorcycle whenever you can, and don't buy from dealerships when their prices are unreasonable.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:23:25 PM by adminjoe »
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The Small Engine Shop

Why Motorcycle Dealerships Are Sometimes Called Stealerships
« on: November 26, 2017, 06:03:58 PM »