Author Topic: 04 FXSTD Deuce speedo replacement?  (Read 332 times)

MikeM

04 FXSTD Deuce speedo replacement?
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:25:49 PM »
Hi: Looking for tips to update to new h/d tach combo. Watched the great video here on this subject. 
Dashboard on Duece is different than the Softail Custom in video.  Looks to me like speedo can only be removed by pushing "in", as opposed to pushing "out" ?  Looks like best approach could be to first release black collar from metal posts first ? All suggestions are appreciated.
My mechanical skills are kind of weak.
Also, is it true maxi-fuse wasn't introduced on Deuce until 2007 ?
Thanks !  Mike M.

smallengineshop

Re: 04 FXSTD Deuce speedo replacement?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
The console is secured to the bike with 3 torx screws, 2 in back and 1 in front. Once you remove those screws, lift up on the console and disconnect the electrical connections and remove the reset switch, than completely remove the console.

When you turn the console over you should see something called a back clamp that secures the speedometer to the console using clips. Unclip it and you should be able to remove the speedometer and back clamp from the console. #16 in the diagram below says "back lamp," but I think it should say back clamp.

Yes, maxi-fuse wasn't used until 2007. Disconnecting the negative battery cable will do the same thing as removing the maxi-fuse.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 04:22:48 PM by smallengineshop »
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

MikeM

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 07:00:55 AM »
Thanks for your response. It was a little bit different than described in diagram. The big difference is that it was removed "inwards", as opposed to being lifted out.
Here's how it went.  Again, my skill level is low. Transferred current mileage with supplied cable - no problem. As stated earlier, existing speedo has to be removed inwards.
After removing dash undid 2 electrical connectors. Now released 3 large clips securing speedo to inside of dash housing. That released the speedo from dash. Now pushed speedo inward and had it in my hand. Removed secondary bracket and gasket from speedo. Installed this bracket and gasket on new speedo. Now snapped this assembly back into dash bracket , and reconnected electrical connectors.
Now the fun part. Trying to re-mount dash while holding gaskets on side in place.
Finally got everything in place, and tested. So far, so good..
Test ride tomorrow, and learn how to set desired lighting colors of new speedo.
Experience was a little stressful, but I got it done.
Mike M.

The Small Engine Shop

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 07:00:55 AM »