Author Topic: Are the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic, Classic LT & Custom entry level motorcycles  (Read 385 times)

smallengineshop

I don't think so. It wasn't long ago when a 900cc engine was considered a big motorcycle power plant. In a New York Times article, US Raises Tariff For Motorcycles, published April 2, 1983, the times writes "In an unusually strong protectionist action, President Reagan today ordered a tenfold increase in tariffs for imported heavy weight motorcycles." The reference to heavy weight motorcycles is primarily referring to Japanese street bikes with an engine size 701 cubic centimeters or larger. Back than a 900cc motorcycle was considered a big heavy weight bike. Sure, some bikes are twice that size today, but even today's 900cc motorcycle isn't the easiest bike to ride, so why label it entry level? I think motorcycle magazines and website reviews, and even the motorcycle community in general are responsible for the entry level label. Its because the Vulcan 900 is easy to ride, feels very light due to its low center of gravity, low seat height and is priced below $9k. The Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic, Custom and Classic LT are mid size cruiser's that almost any rider can ride and appreciate, but they are not entry level motorcycles.

If you want to know which motorcycles are entry level, than go to your local motorcycle riding school and see what motorcycles they use. Harley Davidson riding schools use the Harley Davidson 500cc Street 500, and I've seen other schools use the 250cc Suzuki TU250. The only reason Harley Davidson doesn't use a smaller motorcycle is because the Street 500 is the smallest bike Harley makes. I would definitely consider the following street motorcycles entry level:

Yamaha V-star 250
Honda Rebel
Suzuki TU250

Photo's of motorcycles mentioned above:

Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic

Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

Yamaha V-Star 250

Honda Rebel 250

Suzuki TU250X

Harley Davidson Street 500

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 07:21:24 PM by adminjoe »
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The Small Engine Shop