Author Topic: Front and rear brake fluid flush/bleed with ABS  (Read 1410 times)

Red. FLHTK

Front and rear brake fluid flush/bleed with ABS
« on: July 20, 2013, 07:30:30 PM »
I have watched the videos where you do this on a 2008 Road Glide. Does that bike have ABS. I have a 2010 Ultra and want to do the same job. I'm going to purchase the mighty vac but have found on other forums people say you can't bleed the brake system correctly because of the ABS? Is this true?

smallengineshop

Re: Front and rear brake fluid flush/bleed with ABS
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »
The bike in the video does not have ABS. The problem with replacing the brake fluid on a bike with ABS is if you get air into the ABS module you can't get it out without a special tool called a Digital Technician 2, and only a Harley Davidson dealership has this tool. Here is a paragraph from my manual for a 2008 Harley Davidson Road Glide:

"After bleeding the brake system on ABS equipped motorcycles, confirm that the brake lines are properly connected if either the ABS module or more than one brake line was removed. To accomplish this, install master cylinder reservoir cover, connect motorcycle to Digital Technician 2 (Part No. 48650) and perform 'ABS Service' procedure in the "Toolbox" menu."

Air in the ABS module can cause your brakes to fail, so it can be a big safety problem.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.