Author Topic: Oil blowing into my carb from the valve cover tube  (Read 691 times)

oldbub007

Oil blowing into my carb from the valve cover tube
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:30:33 PM »
Hi folks:  This is my first time on this forum.  George asked me to post this question to the forum.  I have a Kohler vertical shaft engine model CV15-S, spec #41618, s/n 3311507183.  This engine is on a John Deere LT150 lawn tractor.  The problem is that when the engine is running, oil is coming through the short rubber hose that is connected to the OV cover on one end and the carburetor intake on the other end.  The oil is mixing with the gas and causing white smoke to blow from the exhaust.  It is also fouling out the spark plug.  I replaced the breather, which is that little reed looking vent breather apparatus, inside the valve cover, attached to the head at the top left corner, as seen sitting in front of the tractor, but, that didn't fix the problem.  I didn't see anything else inside the valve cover, other the pushrods tappets, and springs.  They all checked out ok. If anyone has had, heard of, or,seen this problem and knows a remedy, I would certainly love to hear from you.  Thanks, in advance.

Jim

smallengineshop

Re: Oil blowing into my carb from the valve cover tube
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 03:04:31 PM »
Make sure the engine oil isn't overfilled.

Have you checked the engine top end for excessive piston, ring, cylinder wear? Excessive combustion gases might be getting past the piston and rings and causing high crankcase pressure. Also check the head gasket for leakage. A mechanic will use a compression or leak down test to determine the condition of the top end.

You can download a service manual for your engine at:
Kohler Engine Service Manuals

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

oldbub007

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 03:21:03 PM »
Thanks for your input.  What is the compression range supposed to be on the cylinder.

jim

smallengineshop

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 12:13:11 AM »
Your engine is equipped with a compression release mechanism, so you can't get an accurate compression reading. You'll have to do a leak down test. Instructions are on page 24 or 3.4 in the manual.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The Small Engine Shop

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 12:13:11 AM »