Author Topic: Exhaust Extension on Honda EU6500 Inverter Generator  (Read 1654 times)

hopjockey

Exhaust Extension on Honda EU6500 Inverter Generator
« on: October 14, 2014, 10:55:07 PM »
I'm looking for an opinion.  I have a question as to whether adding an exhaust extension to a stock Honda EU6500 Inverter Generator would harm the it in anyway?  The Honda dealer says no, but then again he didn't have any specifics on what I was talking about.  I've attached a few pictures of what's involved and was hoping someone might give me their educated suggestions on this matter.
Thank you in advance,
Gordon

smallengineshop

Re: Exhaust Extension on Honda EU6500 Inverter Generator
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:02:41 AM »
Probably nothing if your just adding that extra hose to the exhaust pipe. I've seen Ohlin generators with long exhaust pipes underneath RV's to redirect exhaust gases away from the RV, but Ohlin probably tuned the engine to use the longer exhaust pipe. Whenever you mess with air flow by changing or modifying something in the intake or exhaust you risk changing the air/fuel mixture. For example, if a Harley Davidson owner adds an aftermarket exhaust system to the motorcycle, they usually need to go in to the air/fuel map used by the computerized fuel injection system and make changes. If you get a lean air/fuel mixture you can seriously damage the engine. A rich air/fuel mixture causes fouled plugs, poor running engines, and poor fuel consumption.

I have never done this modification to this generator, so I can't say for sure. Just be aware of the tuning issues. Maybe someone else will chime in.....

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The Small Engine Shop

Re: Exhaust Extension on Honda EU6500 Inverter Generator
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:02:41 AM »