Author Topic: Floodind on craftsman els v twin 26 ohv lawn tractor  (Read 1798 times)

aarons sled shop

Floodind on craftsman els v twin 26 ohv lawn tractor
« on: September 16, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »
 I have a craftsman garden tractor with a 26 hp v twin briggs. The problem seem to be when the tractor is started it will run ok for about 5 mins. Then start to back fire then flood its self out with gas coming out of the breather tube from the engine into the air filter box. I have cleaned the carb twice and replaced the fuel and have no water in the tank, lines, or carb. I am not sure about where to go from here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank Aaron.  nhdoco@netzero.net. I am also willing to answer any questions anybody may have on big two strokes.

smallengineshop

Re: Floodind on craftsman els v twin 26 ohv lawn tractor
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »
How old is your tractor and what model is your Briggs & Stratton engine? Is there black smoke coming out of the exhaust when your tractor starts to flood?

You might check and make sure the carburetor float needle and seat are in good condition, and also check the float height if your carb float is adjustable. Also check the top end of both cylinders by doing a leak down test will tell you if a cylinder(s) is in bad condition.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

aarons sled shop

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:09:48 PM »
 Thank you very much for the advise. I have checked the needle and seat with my mg tester gauge. What seems to be happening is that this will start very well and run for about 5 mins. Then just floods its self out. Loosing spark? The carb is spotless but did sit for a few years under cover in a barn. maybe three years. But it goes into its fit very quickly. 10 seconds. Running at 3/4 throttle no load on the engine. I will check it again tomorrow and check for spark as soon as it dies. It does run great until it hits this 5 min mark.  I don't think its fuel. It does have some serging until its under a load. I will be happy to send the ser # and model # and year if I can find it tomorrow. I thank you for the help and I just hope I may be able to help you sometime.

smallengineshop

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »
Carburetors can look clean but still have a plugged passage way. Especially if the tractor sat for years will fuel in the carburetor. Check out this forum thread I found online. This person had a similar problem and ended up having to replace the carburetor.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f258/briggs-and-stratton-22hp-flooding-469523.html
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The Small Engine Shop

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »